Emerging directors aged 18-23 are invited to apply for the 7th annual YMVC – Youth Music Video Competition.
Deadline Extended: 7pm Friday 1 April 2022.
YMVC is an opportunity for young filmmakers working in any style to receive expert mentorship while they produce a music video for an up and coming Irish act. Their videos will screen at First Cut Youth Film Festival in 2023 and have the potential to become official releases for the track.
First Cut is delighted to expand the scope of YMVC in 2022 thanks to the generous support of an Arts Council YPCE Project Award!
- All applicants are invited to attend an online advice session with YMVC mentors.
- 5 selected participants/teams will receive mentorship from Brendan Canty, Bob Gallagher and other leading industry professionals covering the music video making process from start to finish.
- Hybrid programme includes an in-person workshop with mentors in Cork on Saturday April 23 and 4 online workshops from May – August.
- Each director/team will receive a €1000 stipend for expenses.
- The competition winner will be awarded €5,000 to help kickstart their career.
Carefully read through the details of the YMVC Programme on our website and fill out the online application before 5pm, Friday 1 April 2022. You can apply on your own or as part of a pair. Filmmakers must be based in Ireland.
You will be asked to:
- Write 200 words telling us about you, your background, and why you want to be a filmmaker.
- Send us a link to your best piece of work to-date. We’re looking for your unique voice as a director – submit something that best represents your style and a clear vision.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
First Cut! Youth Film Festival believe that the music video is an essential form for young filmmakers to master. Its compact format builds storytelling skills and helps directors deliver their ideas with clarity. Now in its seventh year, YMVC’s impact has had tremendous impact on past participants as they begin their filmmaking careers. Entering the industry with a network of professional connections, many have gone on to work on high profile music videos and commercials.
“I was over the moon when I won the award. I’m now already working on three music videos off the back of winning … I think taking part in the festival was an invaluable experience that came around at the perfect time for me in my career. I’d highly recommend it to anyone who’s young and passionate about filmmaking.” – Richard Harvey, 2020 YMVC winner
Niamh Regan – Two Seagulls (Directed by Aisling O’Regan Sargent)
ADT Even The Sun Don’t Shine On Lonely Hearts In Shadow (Directed by Richard Harvey)
CMAT – Another Day (kfc) (Directed by Elliot Ruddy)
Pillow Queens – Ragin’ (Directed by Daragh Goan)
Kobina – Shogani feat. Obskur Mond (Directed by Elena Horgan)
aboveDat – Better (Directed by Lochlainn McKenna)
Invitation: Join us at the Regal Cinema in Youghal on March 12th for the YMVC 2021 screening: https://firstcutfilmfestival.com/ymvc-youth-music-video-competition/
Main image: Alex Tierney’s Settle For (21) directed by YMVC 2021 filmmakers Robert Bass and Eoin Byrne.